There are different modes of transportation available for people in Kentucky, but the most popular way for people to get around is to drive their vehicles. People rely on them to go to work, to run errands, see friends and family, get to various activities and other places they need to go. While for the most part, people arrive at their destinations safely, many motor vehicle accidents do occur on the roads.
People can control their own actions while driving, but they cannot control the actions of the other drivers on the roads. This means that drivers who are obeying all the laws can still be involved in accidents and unfortunately, they can suffer significant injuries as a result.
Common reasons why car accidents occur
There are many different reasons that car accidents occur, but some of the most common causes of car accidents are:
- Distracted driving can be any number of activities that cause people to take their attention off of the road, but using phones while driving can be particularly dangerous
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Speeding and taking unnecessary risks
- Weather such as rain that makes the roads slippery
- Running red lights or stop signs and taking improper turns
- Driving too close to people in front of them, commonly referred to as tailgating
- Animals crossing the road
- Car malfunctions such as tire blowouts or other defects
While some of the reasons for car accidents are not the fault of another driver, such as an animal crossing the road, most reasons car accidents occur are because of poor decision making. The drivers responsible for causing these accidents need to be held accountable for their actions and the victims deserve compensation for their injuries.
Many people are the victims of car accidents every year in Kentucky. Every driver in Kentucky should have insurance though, which is designed to pay for the injuries and damage caused in these accidents. However, insurance companies are not always easy to work with and they may try to minimize their responsibilities to compensate the victims. It is important that victims are compensated properly and consulting with experienced attorneys could be beneficial.